Center of Innovation for Metabolomics
The Waters' Centers of Innovation Program supports the efforts of scientists facilitating breakthroughs in health and life science research, environmental protection, and many other areas. The Georgetown COI employs primarily a modern mass spectrometry approach for the analysis of metabolites and other small molecules. Areas of particular focus include dissection of stress signaling and injury responses, cancer, neurologic diseases, transplantation medicine, as well as a variety of medical applications. Another area of focus is development of biomarkers with relevance to environmental science, early disease diagnosis, and homeland security. The Center Of Innovation For Metabolomics was awarded to Georgetown Univ. in 2011 and is directed by Prof. Albert J. Fornace Jr. and Dr. Amrita Cheema is the Co-Director.
News & Publications
- Long chain polyunsaturated lipid acyls found in non human primates exposed to ionizing radiation
- A multi-omic approach to assess metabolic changes in the host-microbiome axis after injury
- Development of saliva metabolomics to assess injury responses to radiation
- Research suggests that gut bacteria metabolites could help prevent cancer
- Lipids as inflammatory mediators to radiation exposure
- Serum metabolites of malignant pancreatic cancer in a mouse model
- Trends in Mass Spectrometry
- Blood test identifies those at-risk for cognitive decline, Alzheimer’s within 3 years.
- Development of a metabolomic radiation signature in urine from patients undergoing total body irradiation.
- Distinct metabolic profile and persistent health risk markers of space radiation characterized in mouse intestine.
- Radiation metabolomics of absorbed or ingested isotope: comprehensive untargeted metabolomics study establishes a robust urinary metabolomic signature for exposure to an internal emitter, Cs-137.
- MetaboLyzer: development of a comprehensive set of tools for statistical analysis of metabolomics datasets.
- Targeted Metabolomics Using the UPLC/MS-based Absolute IDQ p180 Kit.